What do I do if my ex-spouse takes our child against court order?

On behalf of Furr & Cohen, P.A. posted in Child Support on Friday, May 27, 2016.

When you are going through a divorce, there are so many different factors to take into consideration that it can almost seem debilitating. However, during a divorce, when decisions and divisions pile up, they all require heavy thought and consideration, and this is the time when you must remain proactive and stay ahead of everything. However, if you are not on solid ground in terms of your child and his or her best interests, it may be even more crucial for you to stay on top of things to a heightened degree, even in terms of where your children are at all times, including when they are with your ex-spouse.

Unfortunately, when the stakes are as high as your child being taken by a spouse against a court order, your best and fastest remedy is likely going to be to involve the police. You both are parents, and when decisions around your child are taken out of your hands as the court intervenes, it may be a temptation for one spouse to regain some modicum of control and take the child away, from you and the strangers in the court dictating how and when to be a parent. While the urge may be justified, the actions and actually carrying out an abduction are never justifiable and leave the law-abiding parent terrified and powerless.

Once law enforcement returns the child to the custodial parent, it is likely that there will be legal ramifications. At this point, an attorney may work with you to modify the child custody arrangement.

If your ex-spouse has taken your child against court order or if your spouse or ex-spouse threatens to take your children, know that in addition to police and potentially FBI intervention, you may benefit from seeking the assistance of a Florida family law attorney. They may be able to suggest modifications to the custody arrangement to protect your child and your best interests and prevent such extreme measures from being taken again.