Get the paternity process started so you can assert your rights

On behalf of Furr & Cohen, P.A. posted in Unmarried Couples on Thursday, June 18, 2015.

Having a new baby is an exciting time for many people. When you aren’t in a relationship with the mother of the baby, the excitement might be diminished by a host of issues. As we discussed last week, it is possible that you and the mother of the child might not be able to agree on a last name for your child. That, however, is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to paternity-related issues.

For unmarried couples, establishing paternity is the first thing that you should do. If you think you are the potential father of the baby, you can file a paternity lawsuit as a first step. The baby’s mother can also do this. As we have discussed before, establishing paternity opens the doors for you to seek a variety of parenting rights.

We know that having to deal with the court system for a paternity lawsuit might not be something that you want to deal with. Still, it is something that is necessary so you can seek out visitation and custody. This also establishes the basis for child support payments to begin.

We can help you establish paternity and go through the legal processes for asserting your rights. We can help you with child support matters. We know that having to go through a legal battle over your child is stressful. We can stand by your side so that you can focus on building a relationship with your child. Don’t let your child grow up wishing you had taken action to be a part of his or her life.