GENERAL BANKRUPTCY INFORMATION
- U.S. Courts Website – Bankruptcy
- U.S. Department of Justice – U.S. Trustee Program –www.justice.gov/ust/index.htm
FLORIDA BANKRUPTCY RESOURCES
FLORIDA MEANS TEST
Under the bankruptcy laws enacted in 2005, consumer debtors are required to pass a means test before filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. There are two ways to pass the means test:
- The debtor’s annual income (calculated using the average gross income for the six month period prior to filing) must be below the state median. To find Florida’s median annual income click here. Census Bureau statistics for state median income by family size can be found here (for cases filed on or after March 15, 2011); or
- If income exceeds the median income, individuals may still file Chapter 7 bankruptcy based on results of Form 22A: Chapter 7 Statement of Current Monthly Income and Means-Test Calculation.
For an easy calculation, click on the link below to access a “means test calculator” where you can enter your zip code and personal information to determine whether you are eligible to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Florida Bankruptcy Means Test Calculator: See if you qualify for bankruptcy in Florida at LegalConsumer.com
NOTE: THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, FURR AND COHEN DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY THE MEANS TEST CALCULATOR. THIS CALCULATOR IS FOR GUIDANCE PURPOSES ONLY, TO GET PROPERLY QUALIFIED UNDER THE MEANS TEST YOU MUST SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY. FURR AND COHEN, P.A. IS NOT YOUR ATTORNEY UNLESS YOU HAVE A WRITTEN RETAINER AGREEMENT WITH THEM.
FLORIDA BANKRUPTCY ATTORNEYS
- FURRCOHEN, P.A.
ONE BOCA PLACE, SUITE 337W
2255 GLADES ROAD
BOCA RATON, FL 33431
- The Florida Bar
651 E. Jefferson Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2300
Based on income, free bankruptcy advice and representation may also be obtained. See the Florida Legal Assistance Office Directory for a list of organizations that provide legal services to low-income clients in Florida.
Florida Legal Assistance to the Poor Programs
FLORIDA BANKRUPTCY RESOURCES FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA
- BANKRUPTCY COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA –http://www.flsb.uscourts.gov/
Locate administrative and procedural information for Southern District of Florida bankruptcy filings:
|West Palm Beach Division||U.S. Bankruptcy Court
1675 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
|(561) 514-4100||Highlands, Indian River, Martin, Okeechobee, Palm Beach and St. Lucie Counties|
|Fort Lauderdale Division||U.S. Bankruptcy Court
299 E. Broward Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
|(954) 769-5700||Broward County|
|Miami Division||U.S. Bankruptcy Court
51 S.W. 1st Avenue
Miami, FL 33130
FLORIDA CREDIT COUNSELING AND DEBTOR EDUCATION AGENCIES FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA\
- Debtor Wise – www.debtorwise.org or 1-800-849-3036
- ACCESS Counseling, Inc. – www.accesscounseling.com or 1-800-205-9297
- Start Fresh Today – www.startfreshtoday.com or 1-800-435-9138
- Others can be found through the links below.
BANKRUPTCY COURT FOR THE MIDDLE DISTRICT OF FLORIDA
- http://www.flmb.uscourts.gov/ – Locate administrative and procedural information for Central District of Florida bankruptcy filings
|Jacksonville Division||U.S. Bankruptcy Court
300 North Hogan Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
|(904) 301-6490||Baker, Bradford, Citrus, Clay, Columbia, Duval, Flagler, Hamilton, Marion, Nassau, Putnam, St. Johns, Sumter, Suwannee, Union and Volusia Counties|
|Orlando Division||U.S. Bankruptcy Court
135 W. Central Boulevard
Orlando, FL 32801
|(407) 648-6365||Brevard, Lake, Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties|
|Tampa Division||U.S. Bankruptcy Court
801 N. Florida Avenue
Tampa, FL 33602
|(813) 301-5065 or
|Hardee, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk and Sarasota Counties|
|Fort Myers Division||U.S. Bankruptcy Court
2110 First Street
Fort Myers, FL 33901
|Charlotte, Collier, De Soto, Glades, Hendry and Lee Counties|
- http://www.flnb.uscourts.gov/ – Locate administrative and procedural information for Central District of Florida bankruptcy filings:
BANKRUPTCY COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA
|Tallahassee Division||U.S. Bankruptcy Court
110 East Park Avenue
Tallahassee, FL 32301
|(850) 521-5001||Franklin, Gadsden, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Taylor and Wakulla Counties|
|Pensacola Division||U.S. Bankruptcy Court
220 West Garden Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
|(850) 435-8475||Escambia, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Walton Counties|
|Gainesville Division||United States Courthouse
401 S.E. First Ave.
Gainesville, FL 32601
|Alachua, Dixie, Gilchrist, Lafayette and Levy Counties|
|Panama City Division||United States Courthouse
30 W. Government St.
Panama City, Florida 32401
|Bay, Calhoun, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson and Washington Counties|
FLORIDA CREDIT COUNSELING AND DEBTOR EDUCATION AGENCIES
- Pursuant to the new bankruptcy laws enacted in 2005, individuals who file personal bankruptcy (with limited exceptions) must: (1)Take a credit counseling course from an approved Florida credit counseling provider within six months before filing bankruptcy; and (2) complete a debtor education course from an approved Florida debtor education agency prior to receiving a bankruptcy discharge.
- For a list of Approved Credit Counseling Agencies, click here and be sure to select an agency from the proper district:
- Dept. of Justice – Approved Credit Counseling Agencies Florida
- For a list of approved Debtor Education Agencies, click here and be sure to select an agency from proper district:
- Dept. of Justice – Approved Debtor Education Agencies Florida
Contact Our Boca Raton Bankruptcy Attorneys
If you want to learn more about means to resolve your difficult debt situation, turn to the highly skilled and experienced attorneys at FurrCohen. Our firm is committed to helping people move forward with their lives without the burden of overwhelming debt.
Please contact our Boca Raton, Fl office to speak with our bankruptcy lawyers, call 561-395-0500 or contact us online.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.